After my own heart

My Manor is in the process of getting a New Roof, which has been a long time coming. This is Good, since it means one less Housey-thing to worry about and it is Even Better because I've managed to acquire the most garden-friendly roofing team in the enitre county.If you know anything about me (and I trust that at this point - for good or for ill - you do,) you realize the importance of that last statement. Before I met these Roofers, I had always believed that "getting a new roof" was code for "rampant garden destruction." To say that I was a touch concerned about this was something of an understatement.Today is Day Three of the Roofstravaganza, not because my Roofers are slow or lazy but because they are taking an extra long time on this job in order to protect my garden. These Roofers are clearly after my own heart.The past few days have found me somewhat cooped-up (but working) in the Studio, Roofers happily banging away mere feet above my head. I waft towards a window and look down on the back garden - and there are tarps draped over my back deck, with my borage and parsley and lavender tucked beneath. There is plywood cunningly angled to guard the juvenile Weirdo Herbs in my Strewing Garden. Roofers tiptoe down the flagstone pathways, shovels heaped with discarded shingles, deftly avoiding my sunflowers.I am awestruck. I look on in horror as a piece of the old roof drifts down and lands directly atop my patch of Lady's Bedstraw. I barely have time to gasp before a Roofer appears - as if by magic - and rescues her. It's like there's some kind of mindlink - or perhaps my Roofers moonlight as botanists.I wonder if they know how to make a proper cup of tea.

11 comments:

Dragonfly Willow said...

Your garden is so lovely. I miss living in Ontario, albeit, it was in Oshawa. Texas is too hot to have such pretty gardens.

Jo said...

These are special and outstandingly considerate professionals. I hope you are planning something to reward them; sun tea on ice or an extra large tip for their troubles. At the very least, make sure they get your glowing review posted to a consumer website or two.

Bonnie said...

I am really, really happy for you! Your story is miraculous.

Lady Heather Shea said...

Cabana Boys R US Roofers...hee hee

Beverly said...

Lovely garden. It's no wonder you wanted someone who would be careful and fortunate that you found them. It is nice to that there are people who are so respectful of the property they are working on.

Kate/Massachusetts said...

Your garden is beautiful! Are those poppies? Do you have any tricks for getting them to grow? Mine always seem to die!

karen alho said...

You are one lucky lady! In the process of building a house on a couple of up and down, side to side acres, we put in a few trees. Maybe five? some of them up the hill. Didn't the builders, with a zillion square yards of space manage to put a pile of debris right on top of a young lemon tree that was well away from the house? The only reason they didn't kill the other house level trees was that they were mature olive trees we'd transplanted and all they could do was pile debris around the trunks! I repeat. These roofers are gems! Worth whatever the extra time is costing you!

Josh L said...

Your garden is beautiful. If mine looked like that, i'd be chasing the roofers around like a crazy person. You're a better person than I.

jodi said...

Wow. Do these guys do brick and cement porches, by any chance? I need porch builders who are just like your roofers.

lulu moonwood murakami said...

Dear Spillyjane - I was just introduced to you via a scarf you designed being on display by Spindle Cat Studio at Sock Summit. Your knitting AND your gardening are such an inspiration! Love this post about the roofers/botanists. : ) lulu

Eugene said...

It seems they are very concerned for you; they keep your roof strong while keeping your precious garden colorful. Perhaps a worthy reward of biscuits and coffee coupled with a bouquet would make for a good token of appreciation.


Eugene Head